Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Just Carrying on a Family Tradition.....

Okay, so I've just turned off the T.V. after watching the season finale of The Amazing Race. Grandma Kachina, Mama Raven, Cousin Babe, Aunt Kelly and Kira are outside.

Suddenly Ilsa, who had been sitting quietly at my feet jumps up and goes nuts, barking, howling and crying. This signals to me that *something* is happening outside.

I open the door and call the girls to come in.

Nothing.

I call again, still no sign of anyone. I get the flashlight and I can see them way out on the far side of the yard. It doesn't look good and in an instant I KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING.

***flashback to April of 2000***

Kachina steals a bagel off the kitchen counter. She eats half but throws the other half into the ex-pen for her five week old puppies.

***flashback to August of 2004***

Kachina's daughter Aliy catches a ground squirrel and brings it to her 5 week old puppies. She does it again when they are 8 weeks old.


Yes, I KNOW that they are hunting. I know they caught something. And they don't even have to get all they way to the house before I know what it is.

A skunk.

Both Grandma Kachina and Mama Raven are covered in skunk juice. Kelly, Kira and Babe only smell a little bit. Kachina and Raven smell a lot.

Luckily (for me, not the skunk) my husband (who went out to check) says it was a baby skunk. Apparently baby skunk juice is neither as pungent nor does it resist washing as much as adult skunk juice.

I know this because after bathing Raven (at 10:30 at night) with just regular dog shampoo, she no longer smells. I had to bathe her. Not only did she really smell, but you could actually SEE the skunk juice on her fur and all over her face. No way I wanted the puppies anywhere near her much less nursing off her until she was clean.

Kachina still stinks and has been banned from the bedroom until she can get a bath in the morning. I hope that marinating in the skunk juice over night does not cause it to "stick" better. I hope that when Kira, Babe and Kelly are bathed, the smell all comes off them. I'm sure the friends that I'm sharing grooming space at the dog show this weekend hope so too.

I've heard stories that when the puppies great great grandma Glacie had her puppies, she caught a mouse and tried to give it to her very young puppies.... so I should have expected this... Raven is just carrying on a family tradition...