Wednesday, April 06, 2005

The Birth

Okay here are all the details.... but first... a picture....



Raven's temp dropped about 10am yesterday. She acted pretty normal all yesterday and then became "anxious" last night about 10 pm. I spent the night IN the whelping box with her last night where she alternated between laying on me, scratching around the box and pawing at me, as if to say "WHAT is happening to me???"

By 8:30 this morning we still had no signs of any contractions. The vet had told me if she went 24 hours after the temp drop with no activity, that he would want to see her. So I called to verify and set up a tentative appointment.

While on the phone with the vet, she had her first contraction. A half hour later the first puppy was born, at 9:05. The others were born at 9:20, 10:20, 11:20 and 11:50. 5 puppies in less than 3 hours, I'm very proud of my girl!

Since their birth all 5 have been nursing well and have all gained weight.

Meet the puppies:

Yellow Girl, Green Boy, Purple Boy, Red Boy, Black Girl


Tomorrow I will post 1 day old "portraits", the portraits will then become a weekly feature each Wednesday.

Doesn't Mommy Raven look tired?